NEWSLETTER – JUNE 2022
The green is now fully open for bowling.
Open Jitneys – the regular weekly jitney schedule is at the top of the calendar page here
Monday to Saturday evenings, excluding Wednesdays, tags in by 6:45 pm. and Tuesday and Thursday Mornings 10 am.
We invite all members, and particularly new members to participate in open bowling every evening except Wednesdays when the mixed pairs league meets. Arrive by 6.45 to put your name tag in for the draw that assigns you to a team, with play starting at 7.00. New bowlers may want to begin by joining the Monday and/or Tuesday evening jitneys immediately following coaching sessions? Our experienced bowlers will make every effort to welcome you and bowl with you.
There is also open play on Tuesday and Thursday mornings, names in by 9:45 am to play at 10.00.
Alternatively, if you are interested in casual jitney play outside these times, please put your name and email address on the roster in the tin shed so that all interested in playing at the same times can contact each other.
Of course the green is open for practice whenever you wish.
- Every Friday at 7pm we hold the Chase the Ace draw at the Westboro Clocktower Brew Pub at 418 Richmond Road
- From the Secretary’s email to members of July 4th 2022
- July 9, Saturday. 9.30 am start. HPLBC Novice Qualifier Playdown
- It is an event is for novices who are interested in local club playdowns leading to provincial championships and also to the Governor General’s finals.
- Three-year novices (who started bowling in 2018 or later) are eligible for the Governor General playdowns at Galetta on August 13 and 14th, leading to the Governor Generals finals on September 3 at Highland Park.
- Five year novices (who started bowling in 2016 or later) are eligible for district playdowns at Deep River on the weekend of August 27 and 28 and must be available to compete in the Provincial Novice Singles at Belleville LBC weekend of September 17, 18.
- All entries should be in to email@example.com by midnight Wednesday, July 6, or by signing up on the sheet on the bulletin board in the clubhouse, also by Wednesday July 6.
- July 16, Saturday, 9.30 am start. Highland Park Morris Home Team Open Pairs
- This HPLBC tournament is for men’s, women’s of mixed pairs, all competing against each other. Most likely there will be two games of 14 ends (although weather conditions may require a smaller number of ends) with a lunch break between games. Please bring your own lunch.
- Five teams have already registered. A minimum of eight entries is required to run the tournament. To join a team, please send your entry to firstname.lastname@example.org by noon on Friday July 8. This will also allow her to make a blanket parking permit application to the City, which requires 5 working days to complete.
- July 26, Tuesday, 6.30 pm start. Mid-Summer Tournament.
- Tags in by 6.15. $5.00 entry fee to provide prize money.
- This tournament will hold two games of 8 or 10 ends each depending on the number of entries and whether it is triples or pairs. Teams will be determined by jitney draw. Please sign up on the sheet on the bulletin board in the clubhouse.
- July 27, Wednesday, Start Summer-Fall Mixed Pairs League
- The Spring league which has already ended had 6 teams who played ‘round robin’ games so that everyone played everyone else in the league, mostly on Wednesday evenings, but participants can arrange games at any time. Please sign up for this league on the sign-up sheet posted on the bulletin board in the clubhouse before July 25.
- Aug 13, Saturday, Start Summer-Fall Singles League Advance notice.
- Fourteen members signed up for the Spring Saturday Singles League, begun May 14, ending August 6. The format is ‘round robin’ wherein everyone plays everyone else in the league. Participants are responsible for notifying opponents if they are not available on a given Saturday morning and in such case, re-scheduled games should not interfere with evening jitney. Please sign up for this league on the sign-up sheet posted on the bulletin board in the clubhouse by 5 pm August 6.
- On-going League play
- Wednesday evenings Mixed Pairs 7 pm start. Saturday Mornings Singles league, 9 am and 10:30 am start.
- Rink Rotation
- May we remind bowlers that rink positions must be changed daily according to the colour charts and that orientation of play alternates weekly between N/S and E/W, to help ensure even wear and tear on the green.
- Sign-up sheets will also be posted for the in-house tournaments to be held August & September
- Annual General Meeting
- The By-Laws call for Annual General Meetings to be held in the third week of September. The AGM will elect all members of the Executive for the coming year. All positions are open. Some current Board members are prepared to stand again; a number have served for over two terms. More information will be available in the AGM agenda papers. All interested in taking on a role in running the club are invited to contact Doug McGregor, Chair of the Nominating Committee, at email@example.com .
Some recent photos
TOM SAYWER, ANNE MARIE RENE DE COTRET AND BOB ALLEN WON THE DISTRICT 16 AMICA/ ISABEL CAMPBELL TOURNAMENT AT HIGHLAND PARK ON MAY 28 2022.
TOM SAYWER, ANNE MARIE RENE DE COTRET AND BOB ALLEN WON THE DISTRICT 16 CENTENNIAL CUP AT ALMONTE ON JUNE 21 2022.
MARG SUTTON & BOB ALLEN WON THE RUSSEL-ISLAND VIEW MIXED PAIRS AT GALETTA ON JULY 4 2022